The SR 141 Improvements, I-95 to Jay Drive Project is the second phase of work at the SR 141 and I-95 interchange. The purpose of the project is to replace the aging overpass structures, improve traffic capacity and operations, and to improve safety.
A study was performed in the mid-2000’s which identified structural, capacity, operational and safety improvements needed at the SR 141 and I-95 interchange, and SR 141 and Commons Boulevard intersection. Due to the scope and cost to address the issues identified, the improvements were broken into two main phases. The first phase, which included replacing the SR 141 bridges over northbound I-95, providing separate ramp lanes from SR 141 onto northbound I-95, and widening a section of SR 141 to allow for three future travel lanes, was completed in 2019. The second phase, SR 141 Improvements, I-95 to Jay Drive Project, is currently in construction and is estimated to be complete in Spring 2022.
During the I-95 to Jay Drive phase of the SR 141 Improvements project, the following improvements will be made:
- Reconstruction and widening of SR 141 to provide three travel lanes in each direction from Paul Road to the Newport Viaduct, including restriping the section of SR 141 completed in 2019.
- Reconstruction and widening of the SR 141 bridges over southbound I-95.
- Addition of two southbound I-295 lanes adjacent to southbound I-95. Shifting the I-295 merge onto I-95 south of SR 141 to increase distance from the I-495 merge onto I-95 to improve operations.
- Reconstruction of six ramps on the SR 141 and I-95 interchange, including consolidating the southbound SR 141 exit to northbound I-295 and westbound Airport Road.
- Reconfiguration of eastbound Commons Boulevard lanes on the approach to SR 141 to provide a total of four lanes – two separate left turn lanes, a shared through/left turn lane, and a right turn lane.
- Reconfiguration of westbound Commons Boulevard lanes on the approach to SR 141 to provide a total of four lanes – two left turn lanes, a through lane, and a right turn lane. The inbound lanes on the east leg of Commons Boulevard will include a separate left turn lane into the Wawa convenience store and a shared through/right turn lane.
- Elimination of the southbound SR 141 and Airport Road signal and section of Airport Road between northbound SR 141 and southbound SR 141. All motorists on eastbound Airport Road will turn right onto southbound SR 141.
- Elimination of the Creekwood Crossover between northbound SR 141 and southbound SR 141. Southbound SR 141 motorists accessing the Social Security Administration or the News Journal will be able to U-turn at the SR 141 and Commons Boulevard intersection and make a right turn onto Creekwood Road; or make a left onto East Commons Boulevard and follow the internal roadway network.
- New lighting throughout the project limits.
- Upgrading pedestrian, bicycle, and transit facilities.